Tuesday, 26 August 2014

Over 6 billion hours of video are watched on YouTube each month - Full Stats

More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month
Over 6 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube—that's almost an hour for every person on Earth
100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
80% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
YouTube is localized in 61 countries and across 61 languages
According to Nielsen, YouTube reaches more US adults ages 18-34 than any cable network
Millions of subscriptions happen each day. The number of people subscribing daily is up more than 3x since last year, and the number of daily subscriptions is up more than 4x since last year
YouTube Partner Program
Created in 2007, we now have more than a million creators from over 30 countries around the world earning money from their YouTube videos
Thousands of channels are making six figures a year
Thousands of advertisers are using TrueView in-stream and 75% of our in-stream ads are now skippable
We have more than a million advertisers using Google ad platforms, the majority of which are small businesses
Mobile and Devices
Mobile makes up almost 40% of YouTube's global watch time
YouTube is available on hundreds of millions of devices
Content ID
Content ID scans over 400 years of video every day
More than 5,000 partners use Content ID, including major US network broadcasters, movie studios and record labels
We have more than 25 million reference files in our Content ID database; it's among the most comprehensive in the world
Content ID has generated hundreds of millions of dollars for partners"
Source:  YouTube Press Statistics, retrieved 26th August 2014

1.6% of app developers make more revenue than the other 98.4% combined

"A study last month of more than 10,000 app makers by market analysts VisionMobile found that 1.6 per cent of developers make more than the other 98.4 per cent combined. While the research estimates there are almost 3m mobile developers in the world today, more than half make less than $500 per app per month.
“It seems extremely unlikely that the market can sustain anything like the current level of developers for many more years,” it concluded."
From the VisionMobile report, August 2014
"The figures in our Q3 2014 State of the Developer Nation report are once again crystal clear: the vast majority of app developers struggle to make a living. 7 out of 10 don’t earn enough to sustain full-time development (we call them the Have Nothings and Poverty Stricken). That would be over 2 million people, roughly the population of Slovenia. Almost 90% of that record app store revenue will go to just 12% of developers.
While more app store revenues are clearly a good thing for developers, the money is peanuts compared to what Apple makes. In Mobile Megatrends 2014, we showed that Apple captures 80% of the total iOS “ecosystem GDP”, while developers capture less than 15% (including commissioned apps released without any revenue model).
The situation on Android is even worse. Whereas 50% of iOS developers live below the poverty line, the number for Android is 64%. Also for Android, hardware makers capture 80% of ecosystem GDP, while developers are scrambling over the left-overs. Other ecosystems like Windows Phone or Blackberry don’t have the scale to provide viable escape routes.
Ecosystems can sustain this situation as long as there is supply of developers hoping to get rich. Only 1.6% of developers have an app that earns >$500K per month, but those few big wins will make all the difference for the motivation of the Have Nothings, the Poverty Stricken and the Struggling to keep creating (source). Asking whether developer ecosystems are sustainable is like asking for how long casinos will exist given that most participants lose money. “Indefinitely” would be a safe bet."

Line makes revenues of over $10m a month from Stickers

"Line, the mobile messaging company from Japan, just announced it is making over $10 million (1 billion yen) per month selling stickers, the rich emoticon-like content. And it says the figure is rising each month.
Line’s free messaging service reached 200 million users in June, and is currently at 230 million. More than a messenger, the company defines an industry-wide shift from messaging apps into social platforms.
Its family of 52 apps — which includes games, tools, communication services and photo apps for iOS and Android — have been downloaded more than 290 million times — Line Camera alone has clocked 48 million downloads worldwide.
The company also makes money from other in-app purchases (particularly for games) and by charging for corporate messaging accounts. This month it announced record revenue of $132 million in revenue for Q2 2013 — a very different approach to WhatsApp‘s $0.99 per user per year business."

Shazam has 100m monthly active users

Earlier - 300m 'users' reported in Feb 2013, which I assume is an earlier version of the 500m number

WhatsApp has 600 million active users

Earlier - 400m reported on 19th December 2013, so it's growing at 800,000 active users a day, and at approx 5.2% per month
Earlier - 300m reported in early August 2013, so it grew from 300-400 at a rate of 700,000 active users a day, and at approx 7.5% per month

China has 641m internet users

"China's internet users reached 641 million by the end of July 2014, for a penetration rate of 47.4 percent, according to China Internet Network Information Centre (CNNIC). By the end of June, the country had a total of 632 million internet users, according to data from CNNIC. Internet penetration by the end of June was 46.9 percent."
Source:  Data from CNNIC, reported by TelecomPaper, 25th Agust 2014
Note - earlier, but fuller report from July 2014 here

Friday, 22 August 2014

Smartphone and Tablet penetration by market

Source:  Data from TNS, dated May 2014
You can select and de-select countries to create your own charts

Tuesday, 19 August 2014

The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has raised $15.6m in donations

!As of Monday, August 18, The ALS Association has received $15.6 million in donations compared to $1.8 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 18). These donations have come from existing donors and 307,598 new donors to The Association.
The ALS Association’s mission includes providing care services to assist people with ALS and their families through a network of chapters working in communities across the nation and a global research program focused on the discovery of treatments and eventually a cure for the disease. In addition, The Association’s public policy efforts empower people to advance public policies in our nation’s Capital that respond to the needs of people with ALS."

Friday, 15 August 2014

WeChat has 438m monthly active users

"Chinese web giant Tencent (HKG:0700) has just released its Q2 earnings report. We’ll look at the financials later, but first the number that we all want to see – Tencent’s messaging app, WeChat, is now at 438.2 million monthly active users (MAUs).
Social gaming tied to WeChat and QQ (Tencent’s old MSN-style instant messaging service) generated RMB 3 billion (US$487.4 million) in revenue in Q2.
That newest WeChat MAU figure is up from 396 million in Q1; it’s risen from 236 million at the same period last year.
For a sense of scale, Facebook-owned WhatsApp has 500 million MAUs. However, Tencent is still not revealing how many active users it has outside of China."

Wednesday, 13 August 2014

63% of Ladbrokes' digital betting during the world cup came via mobile

"UK gambling operator Ladbrokes has identified mobile as “the engine of growth” in its H1 2014 results.
The amount staked on sportsbook betting via mobile grew 105 per cent year-on-year, and made up 46 per cent of digital. During the World Cup this spiked to 63 per cent, as mobile stakings grew over 1,100 per cent."

Global mobile ad spend nearly doubled to $19.3bn in 2013

"IAB Europe, the U.S. IAB Mobile Marketing Center of Excellence and IHS Technology revealed today their global figures for mobile advertising revenue which soared a massive 92% to €14.6bn ($19.3bn) in 2013 from €7.6bn ($10.1bn) in 2012, confirming the adoption of mobile as an essential element of the marketer’s toolkit.
Mobile display shows the highest growth at 123.4% and mobile search, up 92.1%, flourishes mainly driven by smartphone penetration as affordable data plans fuel location-based search-on-the-go. Messaging, itself up 19.4%, might not be sharing as much robust growth due to migration from operator-owned messaging services (e.g. SMS and MMS) to alternative platforms. Successful messaging innovation, particularly in Asia, reinforces the commonly held industry belief that mobile players need to be ahead of the curve.
Search remains the dominant segment representing 48.9% of the total global mobile advertising revenue in 2013 at €7.1bn ($9.5bn), while display approaches parity with a 41.5% share at €6bn ($8bn), and messaging takes a 9.6% share at €1.4bn ($1.9bn).
The share by region of the global figure of €14.6m ($19.3m) for 2013 is:
• North America: 41.9% (€6,099m / $8,100m)
• Asia-Pacific: 38.9% (€5,666m / $7,525m)
• Europe: 17.3% (€2,519m / $3,346m)
• Middle East & Africa: 1.2% (€170m / $225m)
• Latin America: 0.7% (€109m / $144m)
2013: Global mobile advertising revenue: share by region
Growth year-over-year was strong across the board, led by Latin America, which saw a massive 215% leap over the 2012 figures. North America and Europe also saw major increases
• Latin America – 215%
• North America – 122%
• Europe – 90%
• Asia-Pacific – 69%
• Middle-East and Africa – 45%"
Source:  Press release from IAB Europe, 13th August 2014